Characteristics of people with low self-esteem
The level of self-esteem is variable throughout life, that is, the level of self-esteem and the value that we attribute to ourselves is not defined in the metaphor of a straight line. Self-esteem is one of the most important ingredients of our personal development and emotional well-being, for this reason, it is convenient to listen to those symptoms that indicate that we do not love ourselves as much as we deserve.
Through self-esteem you become aware of the important relationship that you maintain with yourself since this relationship is the pillar of your bond with others, for this reason, in this PsychologyOnline article, we are going to discover what are the characteristics of people with low self-esteem so that you learn to recognize them and analyze yourself.
Main characteristics of people with low self-esteem
Low self-esteem can facilitate the appearance of many disorders and psychological problems, for that same reason, here we are going to discover a list of the characteristics of people with low self-esteem. The most common characteristics of low self-esteem are:
- They are indecisive , have difficulty making decisions, have an exaggerated fear of being wrong. They only make a decision when they are completely sure of 100% results.
- They think that they can’t, that they don’t know anything, that they won’t get it.
- Neither their talents nor their possibilities are valued . They see their talents as small, while those of others see them as great and even exaggerated.
- They are afraid of the new and avoid risks.
- They are very anxious and nervous , which leads them to avoid situations that give them anguish and fear.
- They are very passive , they avoid taking the initiative.
- They are isolated, shy people and have almost no or very few friends.
- They don’t like to share their feelings with other people.
- They avoid participating in the activities carried out in their study or work center.
- They fear talking to other people about any topic, they feel continually evaluated.
- They depend a lot on other people to do their tasks or carry out any activity.
- They give up before doing or starting any activity.
- They are not satisfied with themselves, they think they are not doing anything right.
- They do not know their emotions, so they cannot express them.
- Because they are worthless, he is difficult to accept criticism.
- It is difficult for them to recognize when they are wrong.
- They handle many feelings of guilt when something goes wrong.
- Faced with negative results, they seek guilt in others.
- They believe that they are the ugly, the ignorant and that everyone else does better than them.
- They rejoice at the mistakes of others because that way they feel better.
- They don’t care about your health.
- They are pessimistic , they believe that everything will go wrong for them.
- They look for leaders to get things done.
- They think they are uninteresting people.
- They think they make a bad impression on others.
- They feel that they do not control their life.
- They don’t like to push themselves because they don’t believe in their ability.
- It is difficult for them to achieve their goals.
What is low self esteem?
Before analyzing the elements that make up a person with low self-esteem, it is important to learn to define the bases of it . In the first place, we ask ourselves, what are the characteristics of self-esteem? How can we define it? What is the difference between low and high self-esteem?
We define this psychological construct as an individual property based on how much we can come to value ourselves. Self-esteem is therefore based on self-image and the ability to love and appreciate ourselves .
What is low self esteem
A person with low self-esteem, then, will be the one who has difficulties to appreciate all those characteristics that make him so special. When you have low self-esteem, you usually think that it will not be enough and that you will not present the necessary skills to be able to function properly, either at work or in social gatherings.
Low self-esteem symptom: negative inner speech
One of the characteristics of low self-esteem is negative self-talk. Throughout a single day so many ideas and thoughts pass through your mind that, at the end of the day, you only remember some of them. However, if something defines the essence of low self-esteem, it is the negative tone of that internal dialogue . An internal dialogue that, in turn, produces unpleasant feelings and emotions such as mistrust, fear or insecurity. One of the thoughts that conditions a person with low self-esteem is “I can’t.”
In other words, the limit character is very present in the psychological discourse of those who doubt their own capacity. If you are at this point, this leads you to throw in the towel even before you have fought for those goals that are really important to you. Negative thinking leads to initial demotivation in the face of new challenges because the illusion soon fades to the beat of fear.
Fear of what they will say: key sign of low self-esteem
Another characteristic of people with low or negative self-esteem is taking the opinion of others too much into account . A person with low self-esteem puts a large part of his security in the approval of the close environment, for this reason, one of the most persistent fears is the fear of what others will say. The judgment of others becomes an element of vulnerability. A low self-esteem can be noticed in aspects as simple as avoiding showing certain opinions of your own or always waiting for others to make free time decisions, for example, what movie to watch at the cinema.
People with low self-esteem also tend to idealize the attitude of those who project greater self-confidence. They fall into idealization because they personalize their fears in the first person, and assign the other qualities of absolute perfection. Every human being has fears and doubts, this is not what determines low self-esteem, what really conditions this level of self-love is the type of response that the person offers to this emotional situation.
Negative self-esteem and lack of objectivity
The people with low self – esteem are hypercritical about themselves since they exaggerate their shortcomings and ignore their virtues. From this perspective, they are not aware of all the potential they have as unique and unrepeatable human beings.
The person can nurture this existential position by fixating excessively on the trace of a previous failure, or simply, by seeking chronic security in a comfort zone where everything is predictable but not very exciting; in this way, you can project this insecurity into the professional environment. By seeking this comfort zone in an almost chronic way, he does not take on major challenges since the weight of fear of failure is as important a brake as that “I can not” described above.
This could also be of interest to you: Be Brave Keep Going Necklace
However, this attitude leads the person to limiting beliefs such as “I’m not lucky” when in reality, it is she herself who conditions herself with a negative attitude to reality. For this reason, to get out of this circle of negativity, it is very important to remember that every human being can, through their intelligence, will and creativity, transform external circumstances thanks to the capacity for resilience. In this other article we give you some tips so that you can overcome insecurity and gain self-esteem.
What are the other characteristics of a person with low self-esteem ?
- For example, you find it difficult to accept the compliments you receive, you have a distrustful attitude towards these positive messages.
- At certain times, they behave as if they were seeking social invisibility, that is, they take a role in the background so as not to attract the attention of others.
- This fact is caused by that fear of failure and that fear of what they will say described above.
The insecure person with low self-esteem behaves as if he were an antagonistic character in his own life instead of being the protagonist in capital letters of the film of existence in search of happiness.
Low self-esteem: test
Despite the fact that in this article we define the characteristics of a person with low self-esteem, it may be difficult for us to identify ourselves on this list. For the same reason, the well-known Rosenberg scale was developed. This test allows us to identify with a few simple questions what level of self-esteem we present and whether or not we need psychological help.
If you want to do this scale for free and online , click on the following link: Rosenberg self-esteem test online .
Why do you have low self-esteem? It is a question that is posed to us from the studies of psychology, the answer lies in the interaction of social factors, individual capacities and the circle of social support that we have.
This could also be of interest to you: Natural Stone Bangles: Confidence Patience Inspiration Friendship
This article is merely informative, in Psychology-Online we do not have the power to make a diagnosis or recommend a treatment. We invite you to go to a psychologist to treat your particular case.